Try these four multi-joint, multi-muscle exercises from Agresti, Nutting, and Incledon to develop beautifully toned arms and upper body strength.
1. Push-up/Tricep Push-up
- Prepare: Start on your hands and knees, fingers spread, wrists under shoulders, knees under hips. Extend one leg back to rest on your toes, then the other, forming a straight line from your heels to your shoulders. Keep the butt and ab muscles tight, the ribs knitted together, and the shoulders sliding down the back. Be sure the neck is in line with the spine (don’t hang your head or jut your chin out.)
- Perform: Bending the elbows, slowly lower the body as far down as you can while maintaining proper form. Then, straightening (but not locking) the arms, come back to the starting position. Repeat to fatigue (strive for 12-15 repetitions).
- For a challenge: Do the push-up with the elbows pointing back and close to your sides to emphasize the triceps.
- Working muscles: Pectorals (chest), deltoids (shoulders), triceps.
2. Reverse Plank Pull-up
- Prepare: Using an assisted machine like the Smith machine at your gym, set the bar about midway up and stand under it. Using a palms-up grip, grab the bar, aligning your shoulders with your wrists. Then walk your feet out away from you until your body is in a reverse plank, hanging in a straight line, with your heels on the floor.
- Perform: Bending your elbows slowly bring your body up to the bar and straightening your elbows, lower back down. Repeat to fatigue (strive for 12-15 repetitions).
- For a challenge: The lower the angle of your body, the tougher the exercise. Beginners should work at a higher angle off the ground.
- Working muscles: Latissimus dorsi (back), deltoids, biceps
3. Bicep Curl/Shoulder Press Combo
- Prepare: Holding a pair of free weights or standing on an exercise band and holding it with the palms face up, stand tall with feet hip-width apart, abs tight.
- Perform: Lift the weights or band toward your shoulders (flexing elbows), turn the palms to face out and continue pushing the weight or band over your head in a fluid, continuous motion. Then reverse the motion, bring the weight down to your shoulders with the palms out, then turning them to fully extend the elbows, bringing the arms to the starting position.
- For a challenge: Chances are, you can use more weight while doing this combination move, so try it. Try not to rest between each repetition. Repeat to fatigue (strive for 12-15 repetitions).
- Working muscles: Biceps, deltoids, triceps.
4. Tricep Dips
- Prepare: Sitting with your hands on the edge of a sturdy bench, fingers pointing toward you, slowly walk your feet out in front of you and take your bottom off the bench.
- Perform: Slowly lower and lift your body weight, being sure to fully extend the arm and maintaining perfect posture throughout (do not roll the shoulders in). Whether your knees are bent at 90 degrees (easier) or legs are straight out (harder), be sure to lower yourself straight down (keeping a 1-inch gap between your back and the bench for the entire range of motion) and not in a swinging motion toward your feet. Repeat to fatigue (strive for 12-15 repetitions).
- Challenge: Try this with one heel stacked on the other.
- Working muscles: Triceps, deltoids.
I just hope that after doing this arm exercises I will be seeing results…..
Yesterday at work everything was going according to the scheduled as plan. Hubby called a little before lunch time that Mom will be spending the weekend with us and they are headed to Thai Barbecue with Benjie, Mom and himself. He then said, by the way Mom will be staying for the weekend with us. Oooohhhh!!! Got to cancel Pinky’s birthday, going to the salon and lunch with a good friend. Got out of work at around 2:30 and went to see our PCP and also had some tests done.
It’s a good detour for we also need a break from the four of us. Went to the mall and just simply had a great time with Mom here. We walked a lot this time. Mom had a great time walking, checking some stuff and being with us. We missed Pops too and hope he gets better soon.
Dropping Mom tomorrow or whenever she feels like going home. Hope you all had a great weekend.
Our weekend simply made a detour. A detour well spent and worth it every seconds and steps we have spent with Mom.
Will be potting my plants anything this week or end or so….
As each season changes, I am so looking forward to hang out by the patio area on the weekend. Having a cup of hot cocoa and breakfast or snacks during lazy days and just simply cuddling with my honey.
I love planting plants. I am a desperate gardener. Desperate in a way that I want my own greenhouse and able to plant a wide variety of greenery and flowers. I love planting and take the credit from Mom. I remember one afternoon where she took a plant and got some rich dark soil and moist and a larger pot and she pot the old plant to the new pot and then she told me that is what they called repotting. She said I am repotting the old plant so that it can grow big.
Aside from the love of blogging, photography, cooking, cleaning and many others. I heart gardening also. I remember when hubby told me “Are we still in the city or in the jungle?” I got upset but than laughed about it. I didn’t realized my plants were growing in on me.
Now the kids are a little bit older they are so fascinated and so into planting and saving Mother Earth. We need greenery and flowers by our patio to look at….
Looking forward this weekend to pot some plants and do some filing as well. Need to organize our paper works before it attacks us.
As the sun starts setting I look back at my accomplishments for the day. I am thankful that I got work and is surrounded with a balance set of people. Although, sometimes it makes me wonder what if I will my a slight curve on how I approach things how will they react?
Ever wonder why people are quick to point out a mistake and put the blame on you instead of isolating and find a solution to a problem but instead they have judge you without even reviewing the evidence and just hearing the latest feedback they can contain.
That’s why sometimes it’s ok to answer or reason out in a respectful way and tone because it for your own good and to let them know that you are with them and not somewhere else.
If you find a problem think, stop, breath, pause and collect the evidence from there you can start reviewing and isolate things one by one and each step you will find a solution. Isn’t it that how it is supposedly done?
After each day I always looked back and still thankful for all the blessings we have received and continue too. Tomorrow is another day, another challenge and another problem to finding a solution.
As the alarm blares off I am thankful for another day here on earth. Thankful to be alive and with my family. Another day has been given to me. Another day that lies full of challenges that I know I can conquer. Sunrise is just of the most fascinating things I want to see. But today, the sun is no where in sight. It’s kinda gloomy morning but let’s see what tomorrow brings. Maybe tomorrow Mr. Sun will shine it’s beautiful rays on us.
Thank you for each beautiful day.
Enjoy each day like it’s your last. Live…. Love….. Laugh and Enjoy!!!