This fun and fast treat is packed with fresh Latin flavors and a nod to summer with ingredients like corn and cilantro.
3 cups frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed
1 small red onion, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of preferred cooking oil
Course salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place 2 cups of the thawed corn and all other ingredients in a food processor to mix.
- Fold remaining solid kernels into the mixture.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a heated skillet set at medium-high. When oil is hot (see tip below), add about 2 tablespoons of corn mixture for each cake to the skillet.
- Simply spoon and spread the desired amount directly onto the skillet. When flipping the cake, apply pressure to flatten it and allow it to cook thoroughly.
- Cook for 1 minute per side and drain on a paper towel.
Serve with the Green Tomatillo Salsa listed below, your own favorite salsa, guacamole or sour cream. For a meaty meal, serve topped with ground chorizo sausage and cheese.
Tip: To test the heat of oil, drop a small piece of bread into the skillet after oil has been heated. If the bread is browned in 40 seconds or less the oil is ready.
Tip: To keep cakes warm as you cook, pre-heat your oven to 250°F. Place cakes on a parchment covered baking sheet and store in the oven while making other cakes.